Turn Empty Coffee Pods Into Game Pieces
Hobbies / Games
By Spencer McCoy
Tired of tossing out your morning coffee pods? Turn them into fun game pieces for your kids. Better yet, let your kids make them! This project is creative, unique, and eco-friendly.
- Empty coffee pods
- Art supplies
Step 1: Gather your supplies.
Start by drinking some coffee. You may want to do this step, not the kids.
Clean and save pods.
You can also collect pipe-cleaners, puff-balls, ribbons, paint, etc.
- For eco-hack ideas, consider buttons for smiley-face eyes, or use old scrabble letters for a name initial!
Step 2: Add base coat of paint, then decorate!
If using paint, start with a base coat. Once dry, finish decorating with other art supplies. Here are some ideas:
- Add designs with markers or more paint.
- Glue on other art pieces such as buttons and puff-balls.
- Tie on ribbons or fabric strips.
Step 3: Have fun with unique game pieces!
Here are some ways your kids can use them:
- Use in board games like monopoly — no more arguing about who gets the dog or top hat!
- Turn a poster-board into a scorecard, and use game pieces to track wins.
- Use for any challenge including relay race wins, soccer goals, trivia questions, or even completed chores.
- Use for games such as ring toss or skee-ball.
To add weight, you can fill each pod with sand and seal shut with clear packing tape.